A 69ft 1935 Harland and Wolff/Ian Clifton 4 berth traditional stern historic narrowboat.
This beautiful narrowboat was originally built by Harland & Wolff as a 'Small Woolwich butty' for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company in 1935. In later years the boat was cut in half and converted and Marcellus retains the original name together with the GUCCC12447 and 308 numbering. These boats were lived and worked on during the second World War, and the clever design makes living afloat a real pleasure for the modern boater.
The stern steps lead into a classic 'Boatman's cabin' with its own solid fuel stove and seating/cupboards which can be extended to provide a double berth. This room, and indeed the entire boat, are furnished with gleaming wooden floors and cabin sides.
A central doorway leads into the dedicated engine room where the Petter engine is displayed in all its glory. Side hatches to each side of the boat provide plenty of ventilation here.
Next to the engine room is a fixed double berth, conveniently situated next door to the bathroom which is equipped with vanity unit, cassette toilet and shower cubicle together with storage space and shelving.
The galley is particularly handsome and features a built in oven and hob, sleek wood effect work surfaces and a stainless steel sink and splashback. There is both cupboard and shelf space here, together with another side hatch for ventilation in the cooking area.
A second solid fuel stove sits in the cosy saloon which is currently furnished with a sofa, coffee table and shelves.
The bow of Marcellus harks back to its working life, with steps leading down to a large 'hold' area underneath the deck. When not being accessed, the whole bow deck is protected by a cratch cover.
Marcellus presents a rare opportunity to own an impressive example of a historic canal boat. To arrange to view, please contact Gayton Marina on 01604 858685.